Pages

Wednesday 19 September 2012

Can't Kiss A Movie, Eh?


Homework from Film: research Jean-Luc Godard, fancy pants French ~Nouvelle Vogue~ director. 



From what I can tell, I really appreciate his ideas, but the more I've research him the more I've come to realise I would hate him if I met him. 

He's said many a poncy and elitist thing over his time, by brief research tells me, some of my favourites being:

  • "Tracking shots are a question of morality"
  • "Every edit is a lie"
  • "I write essays in the form of novels, and novels in the form of essays"
  • "You don't make a movie, a movie makes you" (which I think he stole from Harry Potter's Mr Ollivander)
  • "I make film to make time pass" 
But he is especially famous for saying this:
  • " I don't think you should FEEL about a movie. You should feel about a woman. You can't kiss a movie."
Which I disagree with. Mainly because I think it's possible, and desirable, to make a film as art that you can feel about as well. 
But also because it just isn't true. 


No comments:

Post a Comment